Considering the tough economic times we are in, it is wise for homeowners to do some of their own home maintenance tasks. Gutters are one of the most neglected yet among the most important parts of your home. There are many factors that contribute to gutter damage, most of which can be avoided, thus saving money on gutter replacement, by simply cleaning your gutters at least twice per year. Running water from your roof can damage the foundation of your home, which is one of the reasons why gutters are so vital to home maintenance. Here are a few things you can do to keep them clean and avoid water from clogging and overrunning.
1. The most obvious, clean your gutters. It is simple yet it is very beneficial to your home. However, it can be dangerous. Secure a ladder, step up carefully, and do not overreach. Have a bucket handy so you do not have to do twice the work to pick up the debris on the floor. You may remove them by hand (use gloves to prevent cutting), with a scoop, or with a more fancy gadget such as an extendable water hose or vacuum it from the ground.
2. You may install gutter covers, which prevent the bigger fall leaves from entering; however, they are not perfect and every design has been proven to allow smaller debris to enter, especially during the spring when seed pods, flower petals, buds and small leaves are more common. Therefore, installing gutter covers will not eliminate the need to clean your gutters, but they will reduce it to once a year or once every two years depending on your location. If you decide to install them, make sure the covers can be easily removed to clean the smudge of decaying debris that will be inside.
3. Unclog downspouts. Cleaning the gutters may still cause water to overflow from the downspouts, so be sure that when you or your gutter specialist cleans the gutters, they also remove any debris from the downspouts.
4. For your safety, it is best to use a fiberglass ladder as opposed to a metal ladder to clean your gutters with water near power lines, as the cable covering may have worn out through years of regular wear and tear.
5. Lastly, if you do not decide to hire a contractor to clean your gutter, remember to wear eye protective goggles, as birds, bees, as well as other types of unexpected material has been known to fly out sometimes at high speeds, jeopardizing your eyes and overall safety if on a ladder.
If you feel uneasy about maintaining your own gutters, please call a professional.
This article was written by admin